How to get rid of a cough in 5 minutes? All you need to know – how to get rid of dry cough and how to get rid of a cough fast?
Cough can be different: wet and dry, acute and chronic, infectious and allergic. But whatever its causes and nature, in almost all cases it becomes a source of discomfort. And although cough is not a disease, but only a symptom, nevertheless, it can and should be fought. But what means to use in order not to harm yourself?
What is cough?
Cough is an involuntary reaction of the body, aimed at mechanical cleansing of the respiratory tract. When foreign objects, mucus, dust, liquid droplets enter the respiratory tract, the nerve endings that are in the trachea, pharynx are irritated, and then the signal is transmitted to the cough center.
There, an impulse is formed that goes to the muscles of the diaphragm, the press, and the chest. When the muscles contract, a sharp stream of air comes out, taking with it all the “extra” – this is how a person coughs.
Cough can occur for various reasons: allergies, heart disease, dry indoor air, a foreign body in the airways, throat irritation. However, most often it is a sign of SARS. In this case, the cough is accompanied by other symptoms of the disease – fever, sore throat, runny nose.
Types of cough and treatment
Complaints of cough for a doctor are a signal to start a more detailed examination. After all, in order to find an effective way to get rid of a cough, you need to accurately identify its cause. And it’s not always as simple as it seems.
A cough can appear due to irritation not only of the respiratory tract, but also of the external auditory canal, esophagus, diaphragm, and so on. Among the factors provoking it are inflammation, chemical, mechanical stimuli, exposure to temperature and others.
Manifestations of infectious cough:
- Coronavirus infection . The cough is most often dry, debilitating, in addition to this, there are other symptoms: shortness of breath, weakness, fever, headache.
- Pneumonia. Symptoms depend on the type of infection, but often the illness begins with a cough that builds up to a persistent, wet cough. The amount of sputum increases, chest pain, fever, weakness may appear. There is a general deterioration in the condition.
- Bronchitis . The cough is wet, after expectoration it becomes easier. With deep breathing, sounds are sometimes heard in the chest – they are caused by the fact that sputum accumulates in the bronchi.
- Whooping cough . Cough in this disease is debilitating, paroxysmal, prolonged, it interferes with sleep. It is difficult to find a position to alleviate the condition. From a constant cough, the intercostal muscles hurt, a hemorrhage in the eye may occur. Over time, the frequency of attacks decreases, but this condition sometimes lasts for several months.
Cough can be other conditions and disease
- Allergy and Asthma . In most cases, coughing fits occur after contact with an irritant in the air.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a lung disease characterized by chronic airflow limitation in the airways. The main symptoms of COPD are cough with phlegm and shortness of breath.
- Heartburn or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) . The movement of the acidic contents of the stomach up the esophagus causes irritation of the mucous membrane of the throat and vocal cords, which contributes to coughing and perspiration.
- Nervous breakdown . In a stressful situation, especially in children, a nervous cough is possible as a variant of a nervous breakdown like a tic.
- Foreign body or tumor.
How to understand the cause of a cough?
To understand the cause of a cough, you need to answer a few questions:
- When does cough occur? At night in a dream, after exercise or after eating?
- Has there been contact with ARVI patients in the last few days?
- Are there any gastrointestinal diseases or symptoms of a stomach disorder?
- Is there sputum, what does it look like?
- Did the cough appear during birch blossoms or after contact with other allergens?
- Is the cough accompanied by other symptoms? Is there a temperature, chills, weakness, is there weight loss?
- Has there been a lot of stress recently?
- Is the office or apartment well ventilated, is there a humidifier?
- How long does the cough last? Is it decreasing or increasing?
If you characterize a cough, it will be approximately clear where to look for the cause and how urgently you need to see a doctor. Any kind of cough that lasts more than a few days, interferes with sleep, is accompanied by a high fever, or produces a pronounced colored discharge is an occasion to see a doctor.
Especially quickly you need to go to the appointment if, due to coughing, it is difficult to inhale and exhale when there is not enough breathing.
How to get rid of a cough?
Respiratory diseases are widespread, so the problem of cough is quite relevant. Medicine has developed various ways to deal with this unpleasant symptom. However, many pharmacological preparations have side effects, and patients with ARVI are in no hurry to resort to medications, but turn to “tested” home recipes.
Some of them can really work, while others are useless. When it comes to medications, some of them are quite safe. So, let’s consider how you can get rid of a cough with folk methods and what means official medicine offers.
Folk remedies for cough have been used for a long time. It is believed that they contribute to the thinning of sputum and its removal from the respiratory tract. The effectiveness of the methods below is time-tested, but not confirmed by official science. To use them or not is a personal matter for each patient.
There is probably no harm from home remedies – but only if the cough is caused by a common cold, and not something more serious.
If you think about it, the best option is to live on the shores of the warm Mediterranean, not stress, eat well and delicious and not get sick. But this is not always possible, so you need to take care of respiratory hygiene. The first and most important thing is to moisturize the mucous membranes.
We forget to humidify the air where we are constantly. Offices often have a central air filtration system that is not efficient enough. In this case, walking through the forest or square helps.
Dry dusty air irritates the mucous membranes and intensifies the cough. Therefore, you can put a humidifier at home or put a damp towel on the battery, in addition, you should do wet cleaning more often and do not forget to open windows for ventilation.
Evidence-based medicine treats herbal infusions with caution. Herbs can cause allergies, and the concentration of the beneficial substance in them is unknown, it is difficult to measure it for the normal dosage of the drug.
The easiest way to moisturize the mucous membranes is to use any lozenges for resorption. It is not necessary to buy medical products from a pharmacy, you can take any delicious ones in the store. This stimulates saliva flow and slightly moistens the oropharynx.
It moisturizes the mucous membranes and thins the sputum, and it becomes easier for the body to get rid of it. If there is not enough fluid in the body, then the sputum thickens, coughs up worse, can become a breeding ground for bacteria and cause complications.
A solution of salt should be instilled into the nose when coughing, which appeared due to irritation of the posterior pharyngeal wall with discharge from the nose. You can buy saline solution at a pharmacy or make it at home: in a glass of water (250 ml), dissolve a quarter teaspoon of soda and half a teaspoon of salt.
For the treatment of cough, there are many drugs that are freely sold in pharmacies. But you can take them only after consulting a doctor. With ordinary SARS, moisturizing the mucous membranes and drinking plenty of water work no worse than drugs, and buying inappropriate drugs can worsen the condition.
For example, if you take antitussives to get rid of an annoying cough, then sputum can accumulate in the bronchi and cause bacterial complications.
The doctor can prescribe medication if he sees it necessary. Most often it is:
- Antitussives . They are prescribed for a dry, debilitating cough, when the cough interferes with sleep, such as whooping cough.
- Expectorants . They are prescribed for sputum that does not cough up on its own. Children under four years of age should not take these medicines without a doctor’s permission.
- Nasal drops . If the cause of the cough is a runny nose and mucus flowing into the oropharynx, then they can help. But drops from the common cold should not be used for more than 3-5 days because of the danger of addiction.
- Medicinal inhalations . In this case, bronchodilators or hormonal drugs are added to saline to reduce inflammation and relieve spasm.
- Attacks of respiratory failure (bronchial obstruction) in children are relieved by inhalation drugs, but this is discussed at a face-to-face appointment with parents. No need to create a home first aid kit based on articles from the Internet. After all, there is no identical course of even a common cold, and it is not always possible to understand how to reduce bronchial obstruction in a particular patient right away, even at the reception.
|Myworldstuffs Home||Click Here|
Hi, Hope you guys enjoying our content and latest news update. My name is Ratiranjan singha, founder of myworldstuffs.com. Subscribe to get latest updates.